Thanks to all the Community members who recommended subdomains for climate change! Your suggestions were joined with the insights we gleaned from the Climate Brain Trust to come up with the following vision for 2040:
- Renewables are used in unexpected ways that have disrupted fossil fuels.
- Advanced technologies to enhance climate resilience are readily available everywhere.
- Natural disasters are forecasted well in advance and catastrophic damages are avoided.
- Sophisticated, open-source simulations of downstream impacts advance policy choices, technological innovations, and everyday decisions.
- Natural ecosystems are a net sink of greenhouse gas emissions rather than source.
- Environmental and climate issues are acknowledged as national security priorities, budgets are channeled on par with defense.
- Global and regional pollution (air, water, noise, etc.) has been significantly reduced, towards a zero-waste world.
- Biodiversity loss has been halted and some ecosystems and species have even been restored.
- Natural capital and comprehensive climate externalities are fully accounted for in the global financial economy.
- Circular economies are the norm. The prevalent economic model is built on restoration, regeneration, and preservation of natural capital.
- The vision will keep evolving during the Global Visioneering process. Please share your feedback and suggestions here!
- We want to substantiate the vision with concrete goals where possible. For example, when we write that pollution has been “significantly reduced” by 2040, by how much?
- The vision will help us prioritize barriers, which in turn inform breakthroughs and prize ideas in climate change.