Challenges of Rapid and Precise Diagnostics

We discussed Rapid and Precise Diagnostics in subdomain section of the Global Visioneering program. We heard that low accuracy and quality of diagnostics test are the barriers. Also, there were discussions on preventive care.

We need to further learn what are the biggest challenges that needs to be addressed to realize our dream of rapid and precise diagnostics.

@ymedan, @crointel, @ErnieRogers, @sahoo00, @Salma, @salarcon, @SArora - What according to you are the grand challenges faced by the diagnostics industry?

Hi @albertconejero, @hol7001, @cepedus, @rbilleci, @sharare_zehtabian, @dobreovidiu, @mitjal, @jakeman792, @gloriosoc, @coronasurveys, @DataScienceNigeria, @Agent_Aslan, @NV123, @gandomi, @alberg, @Raul, @LnB51451, @vanessah, @EEJD - What are the challenges associated with rapid and precise diagnostics?

1. Move from episodic towards continuous monitoring
  2. Finer details of Immune, Metabolic Neurologic and Energy systems, beyond CBC, Pulse, BP , etc.
    3.Automation
  3. Cost and accessibility

In short, leveraging 21st century techology to transofm 19th/20th century practices

1 Like

@ymedan -
I’m going to add one more challenge:

1. Achieving public acceptance for the surveillance technologies and practices required to continuously monitor healthy people.

I suspect this challenge will be far more difficult to overcome than all previous four together.

@Roey -
I am not at all sure. The “public” is already use Fitbits and Apple watches, which will collect more and more health biomarkers with deeper clinical value. In my view, these will be used to empower the individual, rather than flood clinicians with irrelevant data. AI will triage and notify when a professional intervention is advised

2 Likes

Hi @stephaniel, @kevinnicholasbaker, @drdavewinkler, @pkatakam9, @adel1, @RKadam, @supratik12, @uniyalbandana - What are your thoughts on the challenges associated with rapid and precise diagnostics?

As a technological optimist, I agree with you. As a realist who’s witnessing the ‘privacy panic’ that’s running rampart today in the developed world, I’m concerned it will be very difficult to convince people to share their information with HCPs and pharma firms.

@Roey
Let’s start with China and go from there

Hi @dhart,
Being part of the Rapid Covid Testing XPRIZE, I am sure you may have inputs to share on this discussion. What are the key challenges associated with rapid and precise diagnostics?

@Shashi
I always reiterate low cost and ease of use but will also add having a test that provides Gold Standard results in a portable home device. For example, during a ER visit I had last year they performed an antigen test upon my arrival but the doctor said they need to run a PCR test as well as the other test was not reliable. They were doing this with every patient entering the ER. There has to be reliability in a rapid test with a level of confidence the results are accurate.

Also, people have had a taste of testing during the pandemic. This now needs to be carried through educating consumers that home testing is here to stay and that performing diagnostics at home not only with COVID but other infections like UTI, Flu, RSV can be a preventative step to seek treatment and limit the spread of infection.

2 Likes

@dhart Fascinating anecdote and great evidence for the need. I agree that cost and ease of use are paramount to adoption of any technology. I also agree with some others in the thread that the future of healthcare is in personalized data, easily accessible to the individual.

Your story also touches on another important stakeholder in this topic - the healthcare providers. Do you anticipate challenges for adoption there? What will be tougher - the policy/regulations or people? Or another element?

1 Like

Hi @Lenaranjo,
Being part of the Rapid Covid Testing XPRIZE finalist team and being a scientific advisor, I am sure you’ll have inputs and experiences to share on this discussion. What are the key challenges associated with rapid and precise diagnostics?

Hi @drdavewinkler and @RKadam - We want to learn from you the key challenges associated with rapid and precise diagnostics?

Hi @efoehr,
What are thoughts on the most important barriers associated with rapid and precise diagnostics?