XPRIZE Transparent Supply Chains

Hi @darlenedamm, @AnaFortuna, @jwangjun, @SethDarling - Post considerable research we have narrowed our focus on general composite materials supply chains . In your views, which other Industries/sectors (except consumer electronics, specifically smartphones, and packaging) is in dire need of transparency?

Hi @Shashi - some other industries that come to mind are automotive, aerospace, sports equipment, boats, wind energy and I also wonder about military equipment.

1 Like

Thanks @darlenedamm for sharing your thoughts. Is it possible for you to elaborate on the reason why you feel the said industries’ supply chain are non-transparent.

That is a good question, @Shashi. I think I was just assuming most supply chains are not very transparent, but I don’t know this topic that well.

1 Like

Hi @Shashi beyond to know wich industries, I think is to know what kind and amount of waste are been generated by this industries, e.g. food industry, cosmetics, electronic devices, etc can generate a lot of waste with the transportation packing (blisters, unrecyclable plastics, strech wraps, cardboard, etc)

between this process is important design decentrelized solutions to adress waste solutions, or new ways to transport goods, like reusable streching wraps, new carry containers to avoid use cardboard or plastics

in my view the industries that generate the most waste in this process are the food industry, beverages, cosmetics, products for personal use, electronic devices and all goods for individual use that employ plastic or cardboard to be able to transport large quantities of the same product.

1 Like

Based on the advice of our founder and chairman, Peter Diamandis and other experts, This prize would now focus on the supply chain of smartphones.

Following is the revised wining-team-will-statement:
Linking up 100% of upstream trading transactions, providing real-time visibility into source materials and environmental footprint (cradle to grave), legality, and ethical conduct, while protecting business confidentiality.

Following is a draft testing and judging criteria for this prize:

• Trace a smartphone through every step and tier of the upstream supply chain, from cradle to shelf.
  • Account for 100% of materials, providing full visibility into source materials (natural and chemical), processing, and transit.
    • Measuring: materials, volume and quantities, origin, species, input vs. output (incl. waste), and environmental footprint
  • Document the legality of materials and ethical conduct while protecting business privacy (the identity of entities should remain private).
    • Ethical conduct will be defined across environmental, social, and labor rights in accordance with the FSC definition.
    • Legal conduct will be defined in accordance with global materials and components UN standards.
  • Link up 100% of trading transactions, characterizing in every tier of the supply chain.
  • Maximizing the use of technology available to the consumer electronics supply chain.
  • Generate an easy-to-use and precise real-time data product (primary user: companies): detailing all upstream data, flagging legal violations in real-time, and analyzing the potential EoL (aligned with the Zero Waste Hierarchy Pyramid).
    • Impact activity: design student competition involving XR: interactive data tool for informed consumption choices.
  • Bonus points: extensible - can be applied to other supply chains.

@Derek, @Sunbeam, @AnaFortuna, @CamCarbonCapture, @darlenedamm - We would love to have your feedback on the revised wining-team-will-statement and the testing and judging criteria.

Hi @rgarrett, @Carolsiqueira, @Ricchetti77 - You might have feedback on this prize metrics. Please share your thoughts.

Hi @themben, @jagos.radovic, @bontempi, @cgueiros, @dietze - We would love to have your feedback on this prize metrics.

Thank you for all your inputs and feedback. Based on your and Brain Trust members inputs and feedback following is the final version of this prize sketch:

Winning Team Will Statement: Track the smartphone global supply chain, link up 100% of upstream trade flows, providing real-time visibility into 100% of materials, environmental footprint (cradle to grave), legality, and ethical conduct, while protecting business confidentiality.

Prize Purse: $25M

Timeline: 5 Years

Testing & Judging:

• Trace a smartphone throughout the supply chain, maximizing the use of existing technology available to the supply chain;
  • Link up 100% of trading transactions, characterizing every tier of the upstream supply chain;
  • Account for 100% of materials, providing full visibility into source materials, processing, and transit;
  • Document the legality of materials and ethical conduct while protecting business privacy;
  • Generate an easy-to-use and precise real-time data product;
  • With the highest extensibility scores.
2 Likes

Hi @Derek, @Sunbeam, @AnaFortuna, @darlenedamm - Thank you for your inputs and feedback. Here is the final version of this prize sketch.

2 Likes

Thanks to you @Shashi :partying_face:

Cheers!!!

Asset passport: https://mattereum.com/

Another project in the space: https://www.provenance.org/

Hackathon project of mine

https://github.com/genesisdotre/globaltrade + Google Doc with notes

Putting CO2 emissions tracking on the blockchain.
We can track COVID, we can track global trade.

The big vision was to account for other metrics (not just CO2 emissions) but account for the triple bottom line - PEOPLE PLANET PROFIT - in other words “the externalities” of the economy.

I was even thinking about certain jurisdictions going:

You want to do trade with us? You need to comply with these standards…

(it’s a statement, just like saying “Bitcoin only”)

It does not take much to well-developed countries like Canada, New Zealand, Australia, UK to force such solution.

I can totally see it coming :pray: