XPRIZE Transparent Supply Chains

This prize would challenge teams to develop a solution that traces products throughout their full lifecycle, increases visibility and combats false claims. What goes into the product? Where does it end up? How is it changing and changing the environment?

Solutions may include supply-chain passports, blockchain, and biomaterials reacting to their surroundings. The competition would likely focus on a single supply chain or a single product (metals, wood, plastic, fashion).

We would like to learn from the Community:

• What are the innovation gaps in this area?
  • What would the winning team need to do? What would be audacious but achievable targets?
  • What is the expected impact of this prize?

Hi @danhammer and @crointel - One of the prize direction that we are considering is transparent supply chain.

In your views what are the innovation gaps in this area and what could be an expected Impact for this competition?

Some context:

• While most companies have social and environmental systems in place for internal operations, less than a third have similar structures to monitor the practices of their immediate and extended supplier network.
  • 42 percent of companies share exaggerated, false or deceptive sustainability claims.

Gap- There is no transparency for consumers to see the true carbon footprint of products from production to purchase site. As an example I’ve heard that -80% of garlic consumed in US is from China. Huge shipping impact.

Thus need to have a ‘C-print’ of products to allow consumers to make informed decision just as calories are now displayed on menus.

I would suggest 2 numbers: production + transport C -prints. For a renewable the first number is closer to zero.

Metrics for Prize

• How accurate is the solution?
    -How trustworthy
  • scalability
  • reduce to practice

Contest;:

1. Show solution that can track/estimate x objects sent between locations. (Maybe someone has a better idea for the contest part of this part feels a little weak.)
  2. Innovativeness of the solution
  3. Robustness of the solution

still a little bit scattered in my thoughts but hopefully will get the ball rolling for others

2 Likes

Thanks @Derek for sharing these insights.

Hi @Sunbeam, @Mehta, @ckellogg - In your views, do you think a prize for Transparent Supply Chains would be audacious enough for XPRIZE to launch it as the next competition? if so, what should the winning team demonstrate?

Hi @Shashi

It is a complex but achievable issue, I think that new models of supply chains should be addressed with strategic alliances of NGOs, institutions, civil society, global brands to have a more successful implementation and impact on the design of this award.

My point of view is that all the elements presented for the competition are valid, the question is how they could be implemented from a local market to a global market.

Currently the production and commercialization of goods in the global market is focused on the acquisition of products in certain areas of the world due to its low price, without taking into account the negative environmental, social and economic impacts.

I think it is important to reengineer the supply chains in the global market:

*Protecting and increasing natural capital
*Designing new centers of supply chains and production of goods in strategic locations around the world to generate positive environmental, social and economic impacts for the planet and humanity.
*Implementing decentralized supply chain schemes around the world to achieve a local market to a global market goals.
*Establish on-demand production schemes where applicable.
*High-traffic commodity distribution zones should also be considered as production and assembly centers to change supply chain models.

Protection of natural capital
Measurement of the natural resources we use to generate economic value, e.g. If we could monitor a tree (to use it to make furniture) from seed, we could have an idea of the economic value of forests and the economic, environmental and social consequences of not taking care of that forest.

Design of new supply chains under decentralized schemes:
Example
Propose the design of production centers that produce and commercialize locally or regionally Textile products, Manufacturing, Technology, etc; assembling the components within the same commercial region or within the same country, saving costs of distribution of raw materials and finished products for the commercialization of the products around the world.

With the objective of improving the efficiency of production, distribution and marketing of products from a local perspective expanding globally in an orderly and environmentally sustainable manner.

The development of more organic production models can achieve objectives like:

Equal opportunities everywhere
Decent working conditions everywhere
Reduction of disorderly migration by seeking economic opportunities

Reduction of disorderly migration
Achieving energy and resource savings
Achieving organic and sustainable supply chains for the planet.

For example, can you imagine a production and assembly plant for Adidas products on every continent? It could more easily address these goals with clean supply chains.

I believe that in this award the participants should have knowledge in environmental and social economics to address the best proposals, in addition to the technological and computational skills that are considered to improve the transparency of supply chains.

There is an essay that talks about Geopolitics of biodiversity and the economization of the world by an economist called Enrique Leff, I do not know if he has something written in English but the content of his writings can be very relevant for the design of some points to consider for the competition,

here is a link to one of his essays http://bibliotecavirtual.clacso.org.ar/ar/libros/reggen/pp12.pdf

1 Like

There is an existing solutions developed by multiple Consulting firms that are estimating Full Value Chain CO2 emissions (including logistics and everything upstream). I believe this solution based on estimate (assumed emissions and factored calculations) and are preliminary numbers. So, maybe there is a need for a measured solutions for GHG emissions in the Supply Chain.

Hi @Sunbeam,
Thank you for sharing these insights.

Welcome @AnaFortuna to XPRIZE Community!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this discussion. In your views, what technology could be used to increase transparency in the supply chains?

We’re wordsmithing what we call the “winning-team-will statement” for this prize: a succinct description of what a competing team would need to do to win.

Here’s the current version, and I’d appreciate your thoughts:
Provide reliable authentication and traceability of supply chain, accounting for materials, legality, and sustainability from the cradle to the grave.

The next step are drafting the testing and judging criteria for the prize. Here’s what we have so far:

• Provide reliable authentication and traceability
  • Verify materials at each tier of a supply chain
  • Account for materials (full visibility, their quantities, source of origin, aspects like species) from source to shelf / grave (full lifecycle)
    • Cradle-to-Grave accountability, incl. visibility into resources and processing
  • Document the legality of materials from source to shelf
  • Assert claims of sustainability (environmental and social) from source to shelf / grave
  • LCA for every material in the product (carbon content)
  • Generate an environmental declaration that is trusted (reliable, visible) with standardized metrics
    • Output data:
      - For Governments: meeting climate commitments, enabling clean procurement and infrastructure, and law enforcement.
      - For consumers: for informed consumption choices.
      - For companies: for visibility into their supply chain.
      - For downstream supply chain: what’s in the product? To increase recyclability and composting.
  • Scalable - can it apply to multiple supply chains? If it works for one product, can it work for many?

@Sunbeam, @Derek, @wennberg - We would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Hi @Farzaneh64, @fmeggers, @rdrogers - We would love to have your feedback on the above mentioned wining team will statement and testing and judging criteria.

Hi @Shashi I think it would be important to include cradle-to-cradle sustainability as a desirable goal,

and if only cradle-to-grave sustainability is possible, how and where would the waste generated by the supply chain be disposed of?

Maybe consider a blockchain-based system for the appellation of origin of products would be of great help to avoid counterfeiting, protect the trade and price fair for producers and consumers, among other tools that could be designed from a blockchain system to make supply chains more transparent

1 Like

Hi @GloriaFlora, @UVMI, @davidmarvin, @CamCarbonCapture - In this prize design we are interested in tracing the full supply chain of the products for e.g. product ingredients, sustainability etc. Given your expertise in this area, you might be able to advise us on this prize and its metrics.

Happy to help, how should we engage?

Hi @CamCarbonCapture,
You could share your inputs and feedback here.

Thank you @Sunbeam; excellent point. We wondered how to include the full lifecycle visibility in the scope, given the different parties between upstream and downstream. While still exploring more options, we have added the “to-grave” part of the lifecycle as part of the analysis in the output. So, based on 100% visibility into materials, analyze the recommended (and possible) product EoL to encourage closing the loops. What do you think?

Hello all. We are currently investigating which supply chain to focus on and would appreciate your advice.

As you know, a key aspect of XPRIZE competitions is to be able to measure and assess solutions, and for that, we aim to target surgical interventions.

We have identified the general composite materials supply chains as an area in need of attention for their complexity in operation, globalized nature, and many pieces/materials. Some of those we’ve identified so far that are in need of transparency are consumer electronics, specifically smartphones, and packaging. What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions?

Hi @Derek, @Sunbeam, @carlbozzuto and @KeithDPatch - Post considerable research we have narrowed our focus on general composite materials supply chains. In your views, which Industries/sectors is in need of transparency?

Hi @Eti !

I think that should include id systems for each stage of the product

E.g.
Id Output of the product from the facility
Id transportation of the product to the warehouse
Id of the product on the retailstore
Id of the product in the costumer hands
Id of EoL product,

Also I think is important identify what kind of product is and what kind of material is made of, blister, so on
E.g.
Food product
Technological product
Etc

I think in the process of transportation and storage of the product its important consider new ways to stop use strech wrap, e.g. new materials or miniconteiners for this issue

To explain better the idea I found this link, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271327829_Tracking_and_Tracing_in_the_End-of-Life_Phase_of_Product_Lifecycle_Management

1 Like