Today’s urban populations are expanding and growing in density at a pace that is difficult for many existing cities to match. The need for smarter housing, mobility, waste management and energy efficiency is increasing, but the options to build new infrastructure are limited. Most infrastructure is here to stay for another 40 decades, and existing buildings are particularly seeing the least progress in emissions reductions. As a result, we need to focus on retrofitting the existing infrastructure.
The possible focus areas for this prize are:
- Retrofit an industrial facility.
- Repurpose old coal and gas plants to support clean energy.
- Retrofit existing buildings: Buildings are a major source of emissions and account for a third of primary energy consumption. Solutions may include electrification, the use of CHP systems and e-fuels, thermoelectric paint, and smart windows, and more.
We would like to learn from you:
- What are the innovation gaps in this area?
- What would the winning team need to do?
- What would be audacious but achievable targets?
- What is the expected impact of this prize?