Our overarching vision for the space domain is that, by 2040, ~1,000 people will live and work in space, and tens of thousands will visit space annually, representing all nations, people, and trades.
This vision has several sub-points:
- People of diverse backgrounds explore space and support exploration, enriching the human experience.
- Permanent off-Earth settlements support human life in space. There is regular travel between Earth and the Moon. Cities are forming on Mars.
- Space is shared by all nations and people, including non-governmental entities.
- The space economy is worth $1 trillion. Launching, mining, travel, and power industries are at scale and sustain life on and off-planet.
- People can permanently live and reproduce in space.
- Space is used for planetary defense, not international conflict.
- Exploration of deep/interstellar space is thriving and furthering the human condition.
- At least one nation has been formed in space and recognized by the UN.
The next steps are: