Simulating the Entire Human Body to Accelerate Drug Approval

One of the main reasons that drug approval takes so long, is that there’s no good simulation of the human body to experiment on. That’s why we need to experiment on animals and check for potential side effects (a process that can easily take 1-2 years), and later on conduct clinical trials on thousands of human beings.

Now imagine the paradigm shift of the entire drug development and approval process, if we could conduct those trials within a few days (instead of years), using a dynamic simulation of the human body!

I do see one big problem with this idea: Companies are already investing incredible amounts of money into clinical trials. If it were possible to replace those trials with an AI system, it probably would’ve happened already… or would happen without XPRIZE’s assistance.

What do you think?

@darlenedamm - I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter, and if you like this idea - kindly vote for it! (I like some friendly competition :wink: )

@JessicaYoon - I remember you were part of the Longevity Impact Roadmap project. Excellent work, by the way. I had a great time reading through it, and “simulating the human body” was one of the grand challenges described in the report. What do you think about this suggestion? If you like it - please give it your vote!

1 Like

It is super helpful to have such kind of simulation methods.

@sjatkins, @GlobalFuturist, @bjcooper, @dai_andrew, @Terenceericson, what are your thoughts on this? Do you think it’s a topic XPRIZE should focus on in our Global Visioneering program to design the next, $10M prize competition?

I like the idea l! I think some quantum computing companies are also thinking about this topic.

I wonder what would be the best thing to simulate to start with? For example, would you simulate a single cell? What would be most useful and at the right level of complexity?

My guess is that they would go for the heart. It’s not as complex and mysterious as the brain, but most people still need it to survive.

@farahelsiss, @dr2tom, @jonathankolber, @blreitze, you may find this interesting as well. Please share your thoughts, and if you agree it’s a worthwhile topic for XPRIZE to focus on please give it an up-vote! (Find the vote button in the upper-left, next to the discussion title.)

Hi @sahoo00, @mitjal, @gloriosoc, @sharare_zehtabian, @aocampom - What are your thoughts on stimulating the human body for accelerated drug approval? Is it possible?