Recreating Organs

For many patients, organ transplantation is the only way to save their lives or recover them to normal conditions. Organ transplants can delay or prevent many lives from deaths, however, their sources currently rely on donations from proper donors. There’s a big shortage of available organs, including hearts, liver, kidneys, lungs, etc. Organ printing is an alternative technology aims at providing functional organs for medical applications, however, it is still in the development stages. Though in 2019, Israeli scientists had made a major breakthrough to successfully print a rabbit-sized heart with correct anatomical structure and function compared to real hearts, it is too small for the needs of human beings. There’re no advances mature enough for other major organs, too. Should a XPRIZE be considered to boost the development of organ printing?

This thread may be relevant to The Universal Assembler.

As suggested by @Roey, the thread was renamed to “Recreating Organs” for avoiding defining the solution.

Hi @SArora, @RahulJindal, @addy_kulkarni, @Nitesh, @rajpanda, @jonc101, @reubenwenisch, @MachineGenes, @dollendorf, @kenjisuzuki, @Kwenz, @tylerbn, @ajchenx, @preciouslunga, @pglass - Do you think an XPRIZE be considered to boost the development of organ printing? Will this help in revolutionizing the healthcare system?

I’m all for it!

I would just refrain from defining the solution - “organ printing”. We try to avoid that, here at XPRIZE. How about instead we ask competitors to demonstrate their capability to generate a human heart that can replace the parallel organ in a human body? Or any other organ, really.

That’s true. I’ve renamed the thread to “Recreating Organs”, or any other better terms?

Voted for this!

Agree we should keep it broad at this stage, so we can explore different options (breakthroughs) later in the Global Visioneering program.

I think this is again a worthy topic. However, rather than “organ printing”, how about “organ synthesis”, to keep the scope sufficiently broad. It would also be important to design the competition parameters such that novel technologies that would support the clinical adoption of such synthesized organs would also be eligible-- so, for example, a technology for building a synthesized organ (such as a heart) may have been already built and hence be ineligible for the XPRIZE competition, but a supporting technology to test organ function in vivo and predict failure or the need for intervention, such that the synthetic organ becomes more generally usable, would have value.

2 Likes

@MachineGenes - Agreed!