Rapid and Precise Diagnostics

Identifying and supporting technology driven efforts that democratizes affordable diagnostics.

This one seems especially critical considering the state of the world today.

A wothy suggestion. I wish to highlight the sub-domain of early diagnosis, especially of chronic diseases such as Alzheimer, Parkinson, Diabetes, Arthritis and others.
Affordable diagnostics can tarnsform medicine fromeactive, i.e. responding to disease symptoms, to preventive - intervening to avoid disease.

1 Like

Isn’t this one of your fields of expertise? Are there any directions in this field that you think we should pay special attention to?

Several potential directions:

1. Early diagnostics of certain diseases for enabling early interventions -> Early Medicine
  2. Non-invasive methods for diagnosing certain diseases -> Non-invasive Diagnostics
  3. An one-pot solution for diagnosing a bunch of diseases -> One-pot Diagnostics

Yes! This is the logical future. When can I order my tricorder? :slightly_smiling_face:

@Roey Yes, this is an area in which I am active. I believe that technology can make wide population screening more cost-effective that reacting to symptoms of disease. People call it “Stage 0 Medicine”. In most cases the interventions required to lower risk factors for chronic disease are associated with life style.
From a technology perspective, multi-omics based diagnostics is the key.

Thank you all for the exciting suggestion and @crointel for pointing out the potential directions. I’m curious what you all see as the current gap in the market that an XPRIZE competition could address? Is the gap in data collection? Data sharing? Or a specific technological solution - such as advanced wearables, a Tricorder like @ErnieRogers suggested or another solution?

It’s a complicated question. An old problem in this field is the low accuracy of rapid influenza diagnostic tests. In some extreme cases, one test even generated a false negative 88.9 of the time, detecting H1N1 only 11.1 percent of the time (ref1). Rapid tests for COVID-19 had the same problem, but currently it was reported that an AI rapid antigen test system with high claimed accuracy was launched (ref2). But not sure if they really solve the COVID-19 problem and if their product can be modified or extended to influenza, and if they have a general solution for developing rapid tests for other or new pathogens.

ref1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_influenza_diagnostic_test
ref2: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210220005006/en/Laipac-Technology-Partners-With-Two-UAE-Companies-to-Launch-World’s-First-AI-Rapid-Antigen-Test-System

I’ll just mention that XPRIZE actually launched in 2020 a Rapid Testing competition, for accurately detecting COVID-19 patients.

Hi @salarcon and @Salma - As you participated in Rapid Covid Testing competition, what are your thoughts on this topic. What challenges you faced? Do you think XPRIZE should focus on this topic for its next big XPRIZE?

On the other hand, though Theranos is gone, the idea of single-drop testing for multiple diseases is still charming. How do you think?

Hi @skohli, @ckpeng, @gharris, @Basil, @jadmclaughlin - Would love to have your thoughts and the comments so far on rapid and precise diagnostics.

I loved that idea from the get go, although the story of Theranos might deter many from such a competition.

I have written about rapid and precise diagnostics Isee M. Khosrow-Pour ed. 2014?). The key is computer assisted diagnostics.And of course this is steadily improved as CAD is placed on faster computers plus improvements are made in disease diagnostics. But CAD has revolutionized medicine because of the virtually unlimited memory of computers (especially the cloud computingr we have now. In the past before CAD came into use physicians would have to research in the literature diseases that did not seem to be fitting their guesses. It could take weeks , months even a year or more with visits to different doctors before a reliable diagnosis would be reached. Certain diseases such as Lyme disease were especially troubling from a diagnostic standpoint because they mimicked other illnesses in their presenting symptoms. The problems are not entirely solved by CAD, of course, but largely solved. New diseases or variants of old diseases such as multi-drug resistant tuberculosis still bedevil heathcare providers but huge progress has been made especially with cancer diagnosis and treatment where CAD was initially tried in the United States.

1 Like

@boblf029 -
Do you know of any statistics that quantify the improvement that CADs provided to the field of healthcare and diagnostics in general?

That’s a great question. The short answer is no I do not. But I think the best place to get a better idea would be identifying leading cancer researchers. My understanding is that CAD in the United States was applied using the IBM program that led to a computer beating chess champion Gary Kasparov in a special invitational match. The cancer researchers were ecstatic over the results. I am willing to bet that IBM can probably help you find researchers who can address your question. Would appreciate your corresponding with me again if you get an answer to your question. If you do not and want to put our heads together to get an aswer.

Hello Roey
This is an unconventional way to start a discussion on a different topic but I wanted to get your input before I push it. The student loan debt problem in the United States has been in the news for years now. I think there is a simple answer to it. And i wrote a short piece about it published in an IGI encyclopedia a year or so ago and now I have a book length monograph in press on the subject. The main thing I want to get a discussion about is my contention that the solution to the problem begins with counseling studenta in high school at age fifteen (sophomores) to think about what they want to be when they grow up and start their campaign to get into the right school at that point. Most students do not thinka bout what they want to do at least until they are seniors, many not even until they are in college already. That is the reason for the ballooning of studnet debt, and more important, of the shortages in public interest professionsls such as STEM teachers, high school guidance counselors, pediatricians, poverty lawyers , social workers and othe professions who are mostly employed by government or nonprofit organizations and whose income is not sufficient to repay their studnet loans for the credentials they needed to practice their professions. If you want to know more about this subject let me know and I will open a campaign to get this on the XPrize agenda.

Thank you for the suggestion! Let me send you a private message to follow up on this. I don’t want to go too much off-topic here from rapid and precise diagnostics.