Ongoing recruitment + active teams + sharing knowledge + algae hemp 🌱

Ongoing recruitment

This is nice: XPRIZE CARB ON REMOVAL MATCHMAKING SERIES - TEAMS RECRUITING NEW MEMBERS

It is my opinion that recruitment should be ongoing, maybe we should create a thread on the forum (maybe it already exists) or a wiki?

Any active teams in London?

I would like to find teams locally (London UK), but as I zoom in I only see the number, without the ability to contact them directly.

https://pop.xprize.org/prizes/xprize_carbon_capture/overview

Do you require regular team updates to keep them on the map?

I would like to know who is still active…

Sharing knowledge (collaboration and competition)

Also merging and acquihire.

Change the incentives, change the game.

I am envisioning the game theory incentives where is it beneficial to share expertise between teams.

I don’t have enough time right now to dig into the detailed rulebook but my common sense suggests that there should be a way to encourage more collaboration between teams.

Kindly asking for intro for someone working with hemp + algae

I was shopping for some garden stuff on eBay, from the seller description:

Hemp is a fantastic natural sustainable and ethical choice of rope! Hemp plants improve air and soil quality. Hemp is a “carbon sink”, it’s proven to be better than any other plant, crop or tree at removing CO2 from the atmosphere. Hemp plants can grow in poor quality soil, and they leave the soil in a better condition than before they were planted. Hemp requires less water to grow than other natural rope materials

It is my opinion that the hemp is the most scalable solution that can be implemented on autopilot.

“weed” is called “weed” for a reason, it can grow everywhere.

I’ve noticed some teams working with algae. I think HEMP plus ALGAE can be the winning combination.

Quick search, one of the top results:

With multiple plausible and scalable pathways available for renewable carbon sources from biomass to CO2 utilization to recycling, the societal conversation around net zero has now shifted by expanding the reference system to properly integrate the bioeconomy into a long-term strategy for future carbon demand in the material sector while addressing concerns about biodiversity, climate change, and food security.

Thank you for helping :pray:

In the original post above I tried to highlight a couple of thoughts that seemed relevant:

I am applying here to connect with the right people…

Use the search function here: https://pop.xprize.org/teams

I really wish there was some peer-2-peer information sharing platform with the most helpful teams winning some prize.

Longer term, for one of the upcoming XPRIZE, design the scoring rounds (milestones) so that sharing knowledge is incentivized from the start.

I believe it is still possible (though challenging) to find a balance between IP ownership and sharing knowledge for the purpose of the competition. Need more :brain: :brain: :brain: to validate this idea.

Thanks for the Airminers Launchpad and Airminers Bootup and Carbon Removal Academy I was able to find one essential piece of information:

https://medium.com/nori-carbon-removal/soil-carbon-estimating-and-incentivizing-its-accrual-4c53fb0fe61f

Until now I wasn’t able how to measure the carbon in the soil.

Now I know and it feels reassuring.

I think that combination hemp + algae could be a winning combination, mostly due to scalability, low cost and the efficacy in general.

http://carbon.ycombinator.com/desert-flooding/

Some more references in this subject

The Qattara Depression is so large, when filled it can measurably decrease the sea level worldwide… Add evaporation, cloud cover, irrigating other parts of the desert - this geoengineering will change the local climate (2nd order effect) but the risk-reward ratio is there.

I exchanged a few emails with the author of Quatta Depression analysis, he replied that his current focus is here:

It could work in Sahara. It could work in California.

This is Elon Musk scale project, that’s why confidently sharing here :sunglasses:

Hi, just a quick word about hemp and algae. There are two parts to the removal problem, capture and storage. And storage with organic material is problematic as it tends to decay back into CO2 or CH4.

So to work out the viability of hemp and algae, figure out how much carbon is in the dried hemp and algae, and then find a place to put it. The lower the carbon density, (the amount of carbon in the material per unit mass) the more space you will need to store it.

Lets say that you are using ‘just a live farm’, well, the plants will still die and or grow to exceed the volume that you have so you will still need a place to store it. Have a look at https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2933/visualizing-the-quantities-of-climate-change/
That is a gigatonne of ice. Now take cellulose (the key ingredient of plant material) C6H10O5 (or 6 carbon and 5 water) That means that the gigatonne of co2e 3 times larger than that +/- (a gigatonne of dry ice is 2/3 the size but you have the same in water again)

Storage is the real problem, not capture.

Someone I know once suggested shooting CO2 into space. I pointed out that aside from the cost, the other little issue would be the unwanted passenger - Oxygen. For every C we shipped, we through out 2 O. Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Many thanks for your insightful comment.

I admit I did not consider the storage - I was relying on my intuition - I thought the CO2 is bound into the soil

You made me dig deeper into the rules:

Solutions which are inherently less durable than 100 years (in particular, certain nature-based solutions) are still fully eligible so long as they are paired with management practices that ensure that, on net, the claimed quantity of CO2 is removed and sequestered for at least 100 years.

Soil

I know this is an hemp industry source, might be biased, use your own fact-checking apparatus:

The long roots of hemp plants help to prevent soil erosion by binding the soil together. And, due to the lack of chemicals needed for it to flourish, hemp helps to purify soil.

It can also be grown in soil that would be considered infertile for most food-producing crops. It is known as a ‘pioneer plant’ that can be used for land reclamation, including regenerating soil polluted by heavy metals.

RELATED: #SaveSoil

Yet another study concluded that one would have to eat eight oranges today to derive the same amount of Vitamin A as our grandparents would have gotten from one.

It would be a greatly desirable byproduct if the hemp based crop rotation would enrich the soil.

Revenue

Also from the rulebook

Revenues may be claimed to offset the cost of CO2 removal via the sale of valuable
goods (i.e. CO2 derived products or valuable co-products, provided the resulting
end-use does not re-emit the captured carbon and all end-of-life emissions are
accounted for).

SIDENOTE : wish there was a system to account for end-to-end tracking of emissions across the supply chain, I posted an idea here: XPRIZE Transparent Supply Chains

I was thinking about various revenue streams for hemp:

I think we can achieve a high degree of reuse of hemp, while algage acts as a fertilizer.

Fertiliser part is important becuase the traditional way is very carbon intensive.

Ammonia manufacturing today contributes between 1 and 2% of worldwide carbon dioxide emissions. Fertilizers also produce greenhouse gases after farmers apply them to their fields. Crops only take up, on average, about half of the nitrogen they get from fertilizers. Much of the applied fertilizer runs off into waterways, or gets broken down by microbes in the soil, releasing the potent greenhouse gas nitrous oxide into the atmosphere.

Removing the need for external fertiliser input = BIG WIN

Not a rocket scientist but I’m learning how to grow it in my backyard :seedling: :seedling: :seedling:

My previous post was a month ago, and you see me watering the plants - still no visible results.

So many variables (how to prepare the seeds, ambient temperature, quality of the soil) and I’m clinically unprepared, way outside of my comfort zone, getting my hands dirty, but massively enthusiastic, who if not me…

Please update the active team map :innocent:

There are 1000+ teams and laborious process for a guy like me (or some virtual assistant) to reach out to everyone.

Information who Is active, who is hiring is a valuable information.

Milestone prizes

AirMiners Bootup + Climate Change Academy

Excellent resources: https://bootup.airminers.org/

Meeting 1: Intro (CDR Bigger Picture and Scale)

Meeting 2: Soils

Meeting 3: Forests

Meeting 4: Biomass CDR (BECCS, Biochar, and Beyond)

Meeting 5: DAC 

Meeting 6: Mineralization and Geologic Sequestration

Meeting 7: Carbon Utilization

Meeting 8: Coastal Blue Carbon, Marine Permaculture

Meeting 9: Enhanced Ocean Alkalinity and Inorganic Ocean CDR

Meeting 10: Carbon Markets and CDR Purchases

Majority of the content coming from: http://climatechangeacademy.com/courses/carbon-removal

I try to practice beginner mindset with some pseudo-quasi-expert knowledge (been to COP23 24 26) and I have some opinions that I actively try to find counterarguments.

For example: https://twitter.com/marsxrobertson/status/1517878292975607810 - am I missing something?

The Twitter feed of XPRIZE has wealth of knowledge!

The map is pretty good, it has all the updates!

I will also catch-up on Twitter spaces