Off-the-Grid Energy

While we talk about renewable and clean energy, there is still a large section of the society in rural areas which depend on fuel wood and use traditional cooking (smoky kitchen) which not only consume more fuel wood and degrade the forest but also cause severe health problem and make the ecosystem less climate resilience.
As these communities cannot afford costly clean energy, there is a need to give them low cost locally available solutions like energy efficient smokeless stoves from locally available material.

Thank you for introducing this, @Mehta! I wonder if we should broaden it a little, though?

Maybe “low-cost, locally available energy solutions”?

Or “replacing fuel wood”?

Or “energy-efficient, smokeless kitchens”?

@Mehta - I love the direction you present here, and I agree with @NickOttens : we can broaden it so that it’ll help rural communities in more ways than one.

How about - “off-the-grid energy for every house”, or something like that?

@Mehta this is a good one. low-cost, locally available energy solutions is important. This is one of the main issues with energy in emerging and developing countries such as Kenya.

I concur with you on off-grid energy for every house @Roey

Hi @b0bbybaldi, @gyyang, @skunsman, @erinnvw - Curious to know your thoughts on off-the-grid energy for every house. Do you feel this could be an important topic for XPRIZE to focus on for its next prize? if yes, please vote for this topic or else add the one you feel is more important.

@Shashi enabling for distributed energy generation and storage is essential for viable electrification, so yes I think it should be an important focus for the next prize, for this space, there are several synergistic innovations possible using advancements in big data and cloud ML to improve and enhance our current electrical infrastructures.

@Mehta @Jesse_Nyokabi @Roey supplying renewable and clean energy for cooking + expanding broader to off-grid energy is currently being considered in the IEEE Energizing The Future prize design, through green energy “carriers” or synfuels that are cost-competitive to diesel. What do you all think–is the overlap sufficient to address the energy challenges for rural communities and homes, or is there much more that can and needs to be solved for?

Super excited to hear all your thoughts!

@JessicaYoon -

Without being familiar with the IEEE EtF prize design, it still sounds to me like they’re focusing on replacing some of the current energy sources used in rural communities (diesel, wood coal, etc.) with renewables. That’s not quite the same as completely detaching entire villages from the national grid, with totally independent intra-village energy generating devices.

1. The overlap sufficient to address the energy challenges for rural communities and homes.

While the state and donor funding has played and may continue to play a significant role, the private sector will also have to be involved. However, this will require amore inclusive partnership of all stakeholders in the form of creating an enabling environment by the government for private sector participation while promoting end-user engagement, project viability and sustainable local development. Further, the electricity provision and development should be synchronized in such a manner that the designed delivery model is attuned to current developmental levels (and affordability to pay) of the community. Simultaneously, the community also needs to be prepared for a bigger and more complex next level delivery model. We also suggest that the main thrust has to shift towards mass electrification efforts from pilot and demonstration projects. Regulatory certainty, strong institutions at the local level with appropriate institutional arrangements, access to soft funding, bundling of projects and standard process and metrics for delivery of electricity will create a win-win situation for all key stakeholders to take the universal energy access agenda forward. The opportunities have to be seen not only from the rural electrification but also in the larger context of enhancing energy security and sustainable development

I concur with your sentiments. Energy storage is key for off-grid! synergistic innovations using advancements in big data and Machine Learning will be key to improve and enhance our current electrical infrastructures. Internet-of-thing (IoT) is another innovation that has a role to play in off-grid advancement!

Thanks @b0bbybaldi for sharing your thoughts. I agree with you.
Would you like to vote for this topic in that case.

Sure @Shashi, where can I vote for it?

Next to the discussion title, click on the “Vote” button.

On the left of the discussion title, below no. 4 you can see vote link.

1 Like