Cost-effective, geographically flexible, seasonal storage can help overcome the variable nature of some renewable energy sources while improving service reliability and resilience by mitigating supply/demand peaks. This energy industry segment was identified as one that can help accelerate the transition to a sustainable, equitable, and abundant energy future.
Against current state-of-the-art comparable technology, what markers must innovations in this space meet to overtake the fossil fuel-driven energy?
- **Benchmark**: What is the current state-of-the-art and/or most common technology/process to evaluate against?
- **Cost**: Based on the chosen benchmark, what is a competitive capital cost and/or O&M/service cost?
- **Duration**: Based on the chosen benchmark, what is the warranted duration? What would be the audacious, yet realistic, duration?
- **Efficiency**: Based on the chosen benchmark, what is a target efficiency?
- **Lifecycle**: Based on the chosen benchmark and industry trends, what is the warranted lifecycle?
Please share details and resources if possible.