Lab-grown meat

This is from the BBC

I think when we talk about the future of farming, we need to take animal welfare into account. Taking them out of the equation for meat production would be a huge, and positive, change.

The question, of course, is if this is doable on a global scale and within the timeframe we’re studying (by the year 2050)?

Speaking of lab-grown meat, a study by John Lynch and Raymond Pierrehumbert of Oxford University (found via Vox) finds that, in the long run, it may accelerate climate change more than regular beef does.

Click here to read the whole thing.

@Dimogylus, @JohanJorgensen, @ksampson, what is your view on lab-grown meat? Will enough people eat it? Will it help solve some of the biggest challenges in food systems between now and 2050?

Ah, love this discussion! I think we need to realize that cultured meet will be part of a greater system - the modern equivalent of grass-fed planet care-taker cattle. If bio reactors (of course powered by solar) emit CO2, that will be fed into systems producing protein or bio fuel via bacterial processes. Transportation on lab-grown meat will be made in urban environments where it will be way more efficient. All-in-all I prefer plant-based alternatives myself, but lab-grown is clearly interesting for the environmental benefits. Let’s remember, it’s not only CO2 that livestock emit. Manure lakes is also a pressing issue as is the alternative usage of rain forests as carbon capture rather than as being cut down for cattle grazing grounds.

@gmcevilly and @josephjjames, you might also have thoughts on this topic. Please, let us know what you think!

The study Nick posted is really interesting. I think these technologies are pretty new and they need more development. Also it is great thinking that we can engineer a whole system where CO2 is fed to another bioreactor that needs CO2 as raw material. On another topic, what if we grew other types of food in bioreactors such as insects, their protein content is higher and their metabolism more efficient. What are your thoughts on that?

Hi everybody,

wer are running a Research Topic entitled Cultured Meat – Are We Getting it Right? in FRONTIERS in Nutrition. Submissions are still open and we’d be thrilled to have contributions from the Xprize community as well.

The RT will be visible and the discussion couldn’t be more timely.

Looking forward, Johannes