Introductions

I am Dan Turner a 40 year fire professional/manager with CAL FIRE that included command/management responsibility for hundreds of WUI fires including many of the most damaging in state history. Educated in forestry, all hazard fire management and community planning. Currently serve as Executive Director of countywide Fire Safe Council doing community WUI fire outreach and engagement and Executive Director of Urban Forest Ecosystem Institute at Cal Poly University-San Luis Obispo. Cal Poly is developing a holistic multi-discipline WUI Fire Institute that explores fire and forest management, WUI information and data analysis, research, and education. Cal Poly academic disciplines include forestry, fire protection engineering, city and regional planning, aerospace, economics, architecture, landscape architecture, range management, biology, environmental engineering, transportation planning, environmental management, animal science, and agricultural engineering.

My experience tells me that WUI fires are a unique fire protection problem that unfortunately seems to be addressed from one of 2 extreme perspectives either as forest fire problem that affects the built environment or a built environment fire problem that affects forests; the reality is it is both simultaneously and successful approaches to mitigate the problem include both of these aspects working in concert.

I agree with previous poster that detecting new fires in the California environment is not a major challenge (it is in other regions however); the most daunting problem for fire managers is knowing where the fire is at any given moment (especially at night), its behavior, trajectory, assets at risk on that trajectory, and the ability to develop a successful management plan “on the fly” that will provide for public safety, responder safety, while minimizing built and natural environment damage.

Prevention, mitigation to reduce unwanted results from fires not prevented, community design and preparedness, efficient and effective suppression methods, and understanding the total role and impact of these on the environment are crucial to a long term solution for this wicked problem.

Wicked problem that needs a very new look, glad to see this project happening!

Hi I’m Michael Evans CEO at Cambridge Carbon Capture on the U.K. We have been experimenting with the by-product from our Carbon Capture process, it has uniquely fire retardant properties and we have demonstrated that a coating of our material on flammable materials can make them fire proof. Our idea is to dump our slurry from a plane in the path of a forest fire to create a fire break. We would like to partner with people on this group to conduct a trial- it would be great if this X-Prize would initiate collaborations and fund the trial.

Ron Larson signing in - as a retiree predominantly now working on biochar (see above comment by Gloria Flora also). Clearly containment expenses will decrease with early detection; presumably this will involve use of satellites. But my experience in Colorado also says that way too little is also being spent on prevention of wildfires. I worked a bit on this (unanimously passed) bill: Support For Use Of Biochar | Colorado General Assembly. A very similar bill was passed earlier this year by Washington State’s legislature. So I hope Xprize will later expand into wildfire prevention. Biochar seems to me to be the least cost approach - with the potential to solve many other global problems as well.

Hi all!

My name is Abby Gritter and I work for Blue Forest Conservation, a non-profit firm focused on innovative finance solutions. We developed our signature financial product, the Forest Resilience Bond (FRB), alongside the US Forest Service in order to finance forest management projects (including fuels reduction) on public lands to reduce wildfire risk. Blue Forest secures investors to finance the up front forest work, and these projects create a variety of ecosystem services co-benefits that beneficiaries pay for over time, reimbursing investors with a small return (~2.5%). In summary, this financial innovation solves a major cash flow issue for USFS and implementation partners, allowing this needed restoration work to be done at an accelerated pace and scale. We successfully launched our first FRB in Yuba National Forest in 2018, and are working with other national forests across the Western US to replicate and expand this model.

While we at Blue Forest are not engaged in fire detection or suppression technologies, based on the numerous comments above expressing interest in fire prevention and fuels reduction, there could be ways for the Blue Forest team to contribute our knowledge and experience to that conversation.

Looking forward to collaborating!

My name is Ariel Zilberstein, CEO and Co-founder of Almog Rescue Systems. My background is in Electrical Engineering and in the field of Unmanned Systems. When the death of 44 people in one of the worst fire disaster Israel had ever in 2010. When I heard experts say that there is nothing could be done to stop fire spread. And, when I understand that hundreds mill people all over the globe are facing with this threat daily, I’ve decided to devote my self to create a safer place to live in. I’ve established a new venture with a purpose to protect human life and property from wildfires. I’ve been doing that full time over the past 5 years. I’m exited to be a part of this group, hope to bring a sustainable solution together. Looking forward to collaborating.

Thank you @Almog @AbbyG @ronallarson @CamCarbonCapture @DTurner @chaparralian @davidmarvin @GloriaFlora and @UVMI for your introductions here - great to have you in the community! If you haven’t already, you can check out our most recent discussion topics on Autonomy, Tests to Include, and Design of the Test Fire. Fantastic feedback from everyone so far - it’s been really valuable to have such expertise in the community!

I’m Ernesto Aguila, from Santiago de Chile. I’m Mechanical Engineer, I worked in the oil industry for a long time now I’m “retired”. I have a pending patent for invention related to Wildfire Extinction; please see Data Sheet N°1 that explain fundamentals of it, in one page:

Now , I am working on the innovations necessary to put my invention into practice and in searching financing.

I’m Jeff Baxter, Sr. Director of Research and Development at Erickson Inc. We are one of the world’s foremost aerial firefighting companies, and we are so stoked to see this Xprise get rolling. I come from an Engineering background, and have worked at great places like SpaceX in California. I am currently in Portland, Oregon like @NickAzer, and deeply care about figuring this issue out. Did you all see that PG&E said that customers should expect rolling blackouts for the next 10 years? Man, we have to do more to solve these issues. Looking forward to engaging with this community!

Hi everyone, I’m Prescott Watson. I’m a seed-stage technology investor based between Israel & the US. One startup I invested in (and later joined) has software being adopted by fire departments around the US (see a testimonial here). I’ve been an XPrize lurker for a while but I believe this is a particularly achievable prize concept and would love to bring my resources to bear on the design and promotion of it.

Hi Everyone, I’m Suchinder Dhillon with ARSAC Technologies. We are currently building acoustic fire mitigation devices that we hope to test against prescribed burns in 2020. So far we have tested our devices on a small scale but have been able to stop and/or control fire expansion on wood and wood with an accelerant, as well as extinguish fires on/in multiple mediums. The devices are part of a larger system for addressing fires. We are watching this X-Prize as one, a contributor to help shape this prize and a solution to this problem, and two as a possible competitor in this category when it is complete.

Welcome @SDhillon @Prescott @jeffreyb and @eaguilam - it’s great to have you here! We have a brand new discussion on regulation and permits here, and we also have an active discussion on barriers to scaling that we would love to see any of your thoughts on! And always feel free to let us know if you have any ideas or questions.

I am Simon Yu. I own a newly issued patent using drones to fight wildland fire without water. see www.RoboticVectorControl.com

I am an electronic engineer and residential home builder. I own patent using drone to kill mosquito and caterpillar without pesticide.

Newest patented innovation using drone to extinguish wildland fire. A drone distance itself 100 meters away from fire target sends two ultrasonic beams aiming at fire target. When the two beams intersect. The Ultrasounds slowed down to become audio acoustic rapidly push and pull the flame away from combustible materials causing fire instantly extinguished. The audio acoustic ranging from 30 to 60 Hz. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) had a demo using low audio frequency to put out fire using a boombox speaker at one meter distance. My invention creates a virtual boombox to fight fire via the sonic beams which is safe and without use of water.

I am also working on drone based highly focused audio acoustic waves utilize my patented technology to extinguish wildland fire.

M-Fire Holdings, LLC creates new technology to create novel approach to wildfire management

San Diego, CA — July 1, 2020 — M-Fire Holdings LLC (MFH) announces additions to the proven Mighty Fire Breaker® product line designed to defend property and roadway right-of-way from devasting wildfire events. Applying Mighty Fire Breaker® slurry and mulch products [WE NEED A NAME FOR THIS NEW PRODUCT BECAUSE “SLURRY” DOES NOT SOUND APPEALING OR EFFECTIVE – how about “Roadway Defender” for the slurry and use the “Ember Defender” for the bark-based mulch?] eliminates the threat of wildfire along exit corridors, ensuring a new level of safety for both fire professionals and evacuating residents.

BBC Article on CO2LOC technology