Fashion Forward - A more sustainable fashion industry

It is estimated that the fashion industry is responsible for as much as 10 percent of global CO₂ emissions. How might we make the fashion industry more sustainable and integrated within the circular economy?

Sources: Figueres, Christiana; Rivett-Carnac, Tom. The Future We Choose: Surviving the Climate Crisis. Knopf Publishing. 25 Feb. 2020.

Is the fashion industry here specified to clothing-relevant industries, or wider?

It’s a great topic. I wonder if we should expand it so that it includes multiple industries (like the meat producing one).

In any case, I like the fact that it’s a topic very few think about, but which has a big effect on climate change.

Fashion and the broader textiles industry I think would be a field large enough for innovation. We’re talking about an area responsible for an estimated 10 percent of emissions, so there should be plenty of opportunity just within this industry.

1 Like

I just read the other day the average lifetime of a garment in the UK is 2.2 years. Probably similar in other Western countries. Extending the life of clothes by just 9 months would reduce carbon, water, and waste footprints by between 20 and 30 percent.

So happy to give this an up-vote! Thanks for suggesting it.

1 Like

Would like to share this article which I read on earth day depicting how our fashion choices hurts the planet.

1 Like

Didn’t know this: H&M Foundation runs its own fashion prizes!

1 Like