Cloud Power&Water (AirHES.com) - a global solution for problems of energy, freshwater, climate

Cloud Power&Water (AirHES) - reincarnation of Hydro Power

There are the following global challenges:

• lack of energy
  • lack of fresh water
  • environmental problem
  • saving the climate and life on the planet

The existing technology does not allow to avoid the potential disaster in 2050-2100. Suggested technology (Air Hydro Electric Station, Artificial Hydro Power) is perhaps the only one way that allows to avoid this.

Water Cycle is the most powerful process in Nature – about 1/4 of Sun’s Energy. Since the annual precipitation is about 1 m of rainfall, it matches a huge power ~ 800 TW that is more than 60 times greater than all the current needs of humanity and more than 400 times greater than all electrical power stations.

Why the usual Hydro power gives so little from Water Cycle power? Because the flow of all rivers is 11 times less than all precipitation and all rivers power is 200 times less than Cloud Power.

How to avoid this power loss?
• Collect water in place where it condenses really, i.e. directly in clouds
• Use all possible hydro power head in any place of land or ocean

We suggest the technology for realization this idea – Air HES, that allows to get water directly from clouds (by using a fog collector technology) in order to create artificial Hydro Power anywhere worldwide.

Main advantages

• Huge potential that is much more than all human needs
  • Almost world-wide use where there are clouds with water drops
  • Can be Used as pumped storage and simultaneously as H2 storage
  • Output is electricity, H2, and fresh water, Simultaneously
  • The possibility to reduce energy costs by 1-2 orders of magnitude
  • Absolute ecological security from any pollution and CO2
  • Saving the climate and ecological balance of the planet
  • Technological simplicity, it is not high-tech and can be reproduced easily
  • At last, it is amazing beautiful!

Business Needs

1. cheap freshwater - worldwide easy access to ideal drinking water (distillate)
  2. cheap hydro power - worldwide easy access to huge resource of renewable energy (second after Solar power)
  3. cheap Eco fuel - generating hydrogen by using the distillate & hydro power close to equator, and transporting it by using aerostats to northern industrial areas
  4. solution of global warming - decreasing CO2, saving climate and environment

Business Markets

1. cheap freshwater ~ 1 bln people, especially in 3rd world countries
  2. cheap hydro power ~ 5 bln people, especially close to equator and trade wind area, and to zones of intense precipitation in the climate map (Europe, USA, Latin America, Central Africa, India, China, Japan, Indochina)
  3. cheap Eco fuel ~ “golden” 1 bln people (Eco cars, etc.)
  4. solution of global warming ~ 7 bln people worldwide

Business Products & Services

1. cheap freshwater - wide accessibility, cool temperature, high pressure, ideal quality, low cost (~ 1.5 cent/m3)
  2. cheap hydro power - wide accessibility, unlimited resource, green energy, low cost (~ 0.3 cent/kWh)
  3. Air HES is compact on ground, modular and mobile, and also used for WiFi, telecommunication, video surveillance, advertising, lightning protection, regulation of climate, AD, shade, etc

Hi @CloudWater, I think we need to save this for the breakthroughs stage of the process.

We’re starting by taking a very high-level view of the domains (climate change, energy, food, health, space) to decide which areas to focus on.

From your post, “lack of freshwater” would be a great one to add as a subdomain under climate.

Yes, of course. Practically “lack of freshwater” relays on both food (through agriculture) and health (through hygiena), together and very strong.

Hi @Ksehgal, @nastben, @cananacar, @JSGardner, @fusuntut, @tsamo - curious to know if you have any inputs to share on this topic? Do you agree it is an important topic for XPRIZE to focus on?

@CloudWater -
This is a very interesting idea. I know of some companies that produce drinking water by way of vapor condensation (Watergen, for example), but the process is energy intensive. Even production of drinking water takes an in ordinate amount of energy, and I don’t think there’s any way at the moment to condense water at volumes large enough that we can later make use of their potential energy.

Am I missing something? Would love to hear whether you think this process is possible right now.

This is great idea!

Hey @fusuntut , welcome to the Community! If you like this topic you could vote for it (Click on the vote button below the discussion title).

Any thoughts you would like to share on why this topic is important and what challenges it could solve. Thanks.

Of course, it is possible, and very soon. Can you see the clouds over head? It is the source of huge amount of fresh water and hydro power, simultaneously. And we do not need to spend energy to get fresh water by this way - vice versa, water from clouds is also a huge recource of energy, second after Sun. On my site you can find all necesary theoretical and experimental works to get this resource ASAP. BTW, I have tried to suggest my invention to the Watergen too, but had no reply.

I found this system interesting, when visiting it for the 2nd time. Despite the efficiency is not clear, it is possible to passively collect some water from clouds or air without energy inputs. So, the key will be the design of Component 5 described on the inventor’s website. It determines how useful the system will be. If a proper subdomain can cover this system and other competitors, that will be great.

But actually XPRIZE had a freshwater challenge before:
https://www.xprize.org/prizes/water-abundance

Efficiency and design of surfaces 5 is estimated by data of the existing fog collectors and by computing simulation and experiments by MIT and my own - see my article “Optimization of mesh” on site.

About mentioned “CREATING WATER FROM THIN AIR” of XPRIZE: I had participated in this competition, but could not give a prototype for testing because had no investors or sponsors. Nevetheless, my mathematical model shows that my system could fulfill the demands of this competition better than 2 orders of magnitude - see my article “Complex model of AirHES”, page 12.

So are you suggesting we use the kinetic energy of falling raindrops? I’m afraid this isn’t clear to me.

Could you perhaps provide a link to your website? I would love to reach a better understanding of your suggestion.

Here you are: http://airhes.com/

Right, my site is airhes.com
I suggest to use the potential energy of water drops inside clouds. It is a huge energy. The volume of an average cloud is ~ 1 km3 or up to ~1 mln liters of an ideal fresh water. If we could get this water directly from cloud by using fog harvesting technology, we could get not only this water, but also the huge hydropower. For example on equator the base of clouds ~ 5 km and speed of cloud (= wind speed) ~10 m/s, it could give the hydropower ~ 1000000 kg * 9.8 (g) * 5000 m / 100 s = 500 MW - i.e. each cloud is the unit block of Nuclear Power plant + mln liters of freshwater!