Challenges for Recreating Organs

Organ creation may just be one of the most important breakthroughs we could make in the field of healthcare. As an old colleague (prof. of medicine) once told me -

“Once we can create a heart to replace your failing one, kidneys to replace your dysfunctional ones, and skin to replace your spotty and splotchy one, we can just replace you part by part. You would live forever.”

I think he was a little optimistic, but it’s still an exciting prospect. But why haven’t those great advancements been achieved yet?

At least one challenge I can think of is that of immune rejection: our body rejects nonautologous cells, tissues and organs.

Another challenge would be the difficult of growing 3-dimensional functioning organs (human or otherwise) in a lab setting.

@ymedan - What do you think of this one? If we want this idea to become an XPRIZE competition, we need to think it through :slight_smile:

Hi @ymazhar, @anastasiyakgia, @ClaireM, @dalminana, @arshimehboob, @DidierC - What do you think is the key challenges in recreating organs.

@Roey - The seeds of the answer are rooted in the work being done by Michael Levin from Tufts University. Using electrical fields that modulate cells’ ion channels, he is able to grow organs in-vivo and in-situ, at will. No need for external incubation…
Watch his jaw deropping talk on TED.com.

2 Likes

Hi @techspeaker,
We would love to have your inputs on challenges associated in recreating organs.

Hi @Stefania, @NewWorldOptimist and @davidsinclair - What do you think is the key challenges in recreating organs?